Birchbox. Most of us have either heard of it, currently subscribe to it, received it, and/or thought about it purchasing it. If you haven’t heard about it a quick overview would be that for $10/month, you receive a box of about 5 samples most of which are either from established companies and/or up and coming companies. The array of samples includes but are not limited to fragrance, makeup, healthy snacks, body products, essentially anything beauty related, and contrary to what many believe Birchbox is not just for women they have a mens box that runs about $20/month too.
As Birchbox subscribers ourselves, we often get the question of, “Is it really worth it?” or “Do you actually use the samples?” Having subscribed for almost two years now, we clearly do see the value in making the $10 monthly commitment but we admit, it is not for everyone. If you are on the fence of whether or not to subscribe, take a look at the pros/cons list below.
- The overall experience: Birchbox has done a wonderful job of creating the ultimate VIP experience, each Box is different and unique and they have mastered the art of using social medial and emails to create a community of subscribers. Prior to actually getting your Box, you receive a shipping notification that it was sent which automatically gets you excited. From there you will also get “sneak peak” emails that discuss a variety of that month’s products, some of which will be in your Box, and while you don’t know exactly which samples, it’s a lot of fun to watch the video and wonder what you are getting.
- Personalized Profile: We love that you can tailor your profile to describe your hair, skin, makeup preferences, etc. Filling out this profile only takes a minute and by doing so there is a good chance that you will be getting products that you actually use.
- Exposure to new products and brands: This is our favorite part. We may not be initially inclined to purchase a full-size bottle of something that we aren’t 100% sure of (haven’t heard of the brand, not sure it will work, etc.), but when given a sample, we will gladly use it. And who knows, you may fall in love with it!
- They tell you how to use it: When you get your Box, you are given a 5×7 card that describes the product, how to use it, and gives you the cost of what the original size would be.
- Decent samples sizes: All of the sizes we received have been large enough to get a couple uses (or more) our of it, allowing you to get a feel for if you would really enjoy using it on a daily basis or like to purchase it.
- Ability to purchase from the site and collect points: Everything that you receive in your box can be easily purchased through the site and shipped to you in a timely manner. Their site is a great place to read reviews on products as well as collect points on any purchases you have made. After 100 points, you receive a $10 off – we don’t know about you but we love a good deal!
- Subscription flexibility: You are not locked into a one-year commitment, you can choose to purchase in 3-6-12 month increments and can cancel at any time.
- Aren’t looking to change your beauty routine: If you are a bit adverse to trying new products, chances are even if you receive your Birchbox you may not use the products.
- Don’t see the monetary value: We know some people who don’t see the value in spending $10/month for a few samples that they may or may not use and that is 100% totally understandable. No one should tell you how to spend your hard earned money and if you don’t think this is the place to spend it, then please don’t.
- You may not use all of the samples: We’d by lying if we said we use up all the samples we receive. While we do use and love most, we do not use them all.
You can find more information on the Birchbox site.
Overall, the decision is yours. If you are truly on the fence about it, we recommend subscribing to Birchbox for a least 3-months, after all, you’ll probably spend more on Starbucks anyways! Let us know what you think!