After a long stressful day, sitting on the couch and drinking a bottle of wine may sound like the perfect solution. While we understand and agree that sometimes that is the best solution, it may not be the best the wisest option for you on a Monday or Tuesday night. To help get you through the week, we are sharing a list of tips we love to unwind after a long and exhausting day:
1. Declutter. We know that initially this may sound like more work than you bargained for but we encourage you to spend 5-10 minutes decluttering. It’s amazing how clean your house can get in just a few minutes (imagine your friends are coming over in 5-min!) and what an impact a clean house/room can have on your mental state.
2. Light a couple candles and/or use essential oils. Aromatherapy is clutch for a relaxing environment. It is believed that essential oils stimulate the part of the brain that helps release signals throughout the body to help you feel relaxed and calm. Dim the lights, let the candles glow, inhale the soothing scents, and voila instant relaxation!
3. Spruce up your water. By adding lemon, cucumbers, or fresh fruit to your water, you are creating a drink that will automatically give you that spa-like feel. Aside from being refreshing and delicious, adding this to your water will help detoxify and rid your body of impurities. So really it’s a win-win!
4. Limit screen time. Clearly, society is on sensory overload (guilty!). We are constantly accessible whether its via phone, email, FaceTime, etc. and while its great to be able to connect to whoever you’d like, whenever you’d like, it is also very important that we disconnect. Try something else like reading a book or writing. Studies have also shown that using technology at night can disrupt sleep, so do yourself a favor and make sure your are getting the proper beauty rest you deserve.
5. Play some of your favorite music. While we love to relax to Michael Buble, John Legend, and others, that may not be your preference. Music plays a very powerful role in relaxation and stress management. Whatever you pick, make sure it’s relaxing to you and doesn’t get you too pumped up – remember, we are going for winding down, not ready to party.
6. Stretch it out – really, do it. This will help release your body of unwanted tension and it is a great habit to get into every night. On nights we’ve stretched for about 5-15 minutes, we’ve found a huge difference in our sleep and have woken up feeling much more refreshed!
Those are just some of our favorite ways to relax at the end of a crazy day, what are yours? We are always looking for new ideas!